Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One Week, One Project: Car Trash System

I finished my very first project for my One Week, One Project, One Blog initiative and guess what? It feels freaking awesome!

I chose something I have been designing in my head for a loooong time: a simple, inexpensive, washable, decent-looking device to corral and control the ever flowing collection of garbage in my car. For months, I've been stretching plastic bags around the contours of my glove compartment to catch trash, but this solution comes with numerous issues: the bags rip under the stress, Clark's knees have to compete with the hanging garbage when he rides shotgun, and it generally looks like shit.
My basic concept was to make a spandex bag that would hug the glove compartment and contain trash in a  plastic liner, expanding only as needed. I sketched out a design a few months ago while sitting in the carpool lane, but (of course) it never came to fruition. A perfect first project for the new year!

I took some real measurements, reworked the design slightly, cut and sewed the bag, et voila, I now I have a new trash system in my car! This is probably the most functional and least attractive thing I have ever made, if that tells you anything about me. 

I used grey/silver studded spandex with a velvet pile that was already in my stash, just as a test. I thought the right side was hideously tacky, so I used the wrong side out. The result actually ended up blending pretty well into the interior of my car, and I'm not even opposed to the little hint of velvet peeking out at the top. 

I sandwiched some elastic from the stash in a V shape into the sides and bottom seam. I don't own a serger, and the spandex is four way stretch, so I "basted" the edges with a wide zigzag (not stretching), and then stitched just inside this with a straight stitch (while stretching). In my experience, this works great, and is any awesome alternative to buying a $4000 serger.. (Although knowing me, I would probably make multiple spandex Halloween costumes each year to get my money's worth.) Here is a video demonstrating the technique I described: 
After that, I just finished the top edge and tested her out!

If I had to grade this project:

Function: A (As of now...we'll see as time goes on if there are any problems)
Cost: A+ (Already had all materials)
Appearance: B+
Difficulty: B+ (the velvet was fiddly, but overall it was simple)
Fun: B (This one isn't terribly exciting to make, but the payoff was great!)

Overall: A- or something. Love it!
(If anyone would like more specific instructions on how to make your own trash system, leave me a comment!)

What is your first project of the year going to be? Something pretty or something functional?