Monday, January 6, 2014

Why You Need to Revisit "Drunk History"

As someone who regularly gets drunk and discusses historical events about which she is passionate (and as someone who is slightly tipsy and writing a blog post right now), I have always loved Drunk History.

If you're not familiar, Drunk History is a series of videos produced by Comedy Central in which educated, but intoxicated people talk about historical events they have studied, which are then acted out by actors (and usually pretty famous ones), using only the audio produced by the drunk history nerd. And yes, it's just as awesome as it sounds.

This is the first one I ever saw, and it's pretty much just as funny now as it was then:

I've only looked back on these videos occasionally, usually to expose friends who had never heard of them. I decided to look at them tonight and LO AND BEHOLD, there are a plethora of new ones.

This new set of videos includes subjects such as Lewis and Clark, Mary Dryer, the Invention of Coca-Cola, Billy the Kid...the list goes on! They are also far better produced than the original set of videos, which is both good and bad stylistically, but mostly means that they have access to a lot of great talent.

My favorite thus far is this one on Mary Dryer, starring Winona Ryder, and narrated by my favorite original drunk historian, Jen Kirkman.

(I've always had an irrational hard on for Winona Ryder. I suspect some of it has to do with her gravely voice, which is actually somewhat replicated by drunk Jen in that video. So.)

Anyway, if you're a history nerd like me, you should definitely check them out! If you're not a history nerd, you should probably watch them anyway. You might learn something! Or something.

No comments: