Friday, July 19, 2013

Elizabeth Taylor Inspired Pin Curl Set

So, I recently decided donate my hair because 1) that's just a nice thing to do, 2) I live in Florida and it's freaking hot and 3) most vintage hairstyles (of which I am a major fan) work best on hair that is a bit longer than shoulder length or shorter. I thought getting 8" chopped off might freak me out, but I am really loving it!

I figured this would be a good opportunity to experiment with different styles and eras as it grows until I find the length I like best. I've been trying to perfect a 1950s Elizabeth Taylor look for the past week or so, and I got pretty close today, so I thought I'd share. I'm including some notes about method in case anyone is tyring to recreate this look themselves. (And advance apologies for the shitty webcam pictures. I just recently discovered this only slightly less shitty alternative to cell phone selfies. I missed that lesson in finishing school.)


The Cut Itself

This is what my haircut looks like just blown out. It's basically a long(ish) bob, with short layers cut throughout, and short(ish) side bangs. My hair is wavy, and holds both curls and straightened-ness equally well. I've been sporting it blowdried with the ends curled under and lots of volume on top, a la Megan Draper.

The Set
I pin curled the whole head, using a combo of flat curls and standing curls. I did this with dry hair, only wetting each section slightly with my fingers dipped in water, mostly the ends. I sectioned off the top, and worked the sides first. (Not sure why, but it seemed right at the time.) Everything is symmetrical. I did two small rows of flat curls at the temples, then at the "corners" of my skull  (the pointy part on either side? Am I the only one with this?), I did a fattish standing curl. Then I did a row of standing curls down the center of my head for lift, with the bangs rolled forward and all the others rolled back. The rest of the head I kinda did whatever felt right, mostly small flat curls since the hair gets pretty short near the nape of my neck. I tied it up in a bandana and wore it this way half the day, then slept in it and unleashed it in the morning.

The Brush-Out
When I let the curls down, I just ran my fingers through them and formed it with my hands. Talk about bouncy. I felt a little ridiculous, but got it to a point where I thought it was acceptable and ran some errands. This picture is after a few hours, when the curl had settled somewhat. After taking that, I decided to tease the shit out of it, which I did, starting behind the bang section and lightly hairspraying each layer. I smoothed it all over with a bristle brush, including the curls, which then formed nice little Liz-Taylor-type shapes.

Lessons Learned
-The pin curl pattern worked out great and was reasonably easy.
-Sleeping on pin curl clips isn't that bad.
-Don't fear the brush out! It works wonders!
-Teasing is almost always the answer.

Final Product

Bonus! Me doing my very best "serious actress Liz Taylor" impression!
...just kidding. That's just my bitchface.




No comments: