Thursday, January 17, 2013

Banging!


The other day, I decided that my hair needed a change. I've been sporting the Kate Middleton for too long. Sure, it's versatile, attractive, flattering, classic, blah, blah, blah, which have all become synonyms for boring in my mind. (And you'll have to excuse my horrible mirror picture skills. I didn't get a lot of practice in high school, since mirror pictures are literally the worst thing. The WORST.)

I've always been pretty sensitive about cutting my hair, mostly because my mom traumatized me at the age of 3 by giving me a bob. After years of growing it out and donating it repeatedly, I tried the short hair route in high school, and realized that I would be reasonably successful if ever I needed to temporarily hide my identity by say, disguising myself as a man.

But I've been in kind of a "throw caution to the wind" mood in the past few weeks (I bought a stick shift without re-learning to drive one first. Enough said.). So, armed with shears, I decided to give myself some bangs.

Having my hair cut with just long layers is great for 1940s styles, but since I usually rock a 1960s look day to day, it wasn't practical. I chose to go for a Joan Holloway straight-ish fringe that could be worn blunt or brushed to the side. I did the twist and cut method, which you can witness in this video. (Also, the instructor has an entertaining tan. Enjoy.)
They turned out pretty great! Not bad for a home haircut, anyway. Surprisingly, they are thus far much easier to deal with than having no bangs and trying to find a place to tuck my ends in my bouffant. Obviously they require a little maintenance to look "polished", but I think the effect is well worth it. Just as I wanted, they can be worn straight and pushed to the side, and both looks are more fun/dramatic than before.The bouffant is MUCH simpler to deal with and looks more...vintage?

And behold the $7.68 Target sweater I bought yesterday!
Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with myself, having successfully learned to cut my hair and Clark's, thus saving us untold millions of dollars and public tears spent in salons. Or something.

Does anyone else cut their own hair? Or am I the only crazy who needs that instant gratification?

If you're thinking about donning some blunt bangs yourself, you should read my post on Things You Should Know Before You Get Blunt Bangs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love!!!!! You look great! Mom