Friday, January 11, 2013

One Week, One Project: Button Fridge Magnets

My refrigerator has long been a sad mess of "important" papers, outdated calendars, and Disney coloring pages. (And to answer your question: yes, I did the coloring. Shut up.) There was a serious shortage of fridge magnets from the moment we moved into the apartment, a problem I was determined to fix.

After getting off to an awesome start with my One Week, One Project initiative, I decided to tackle this doozy next. I was inspired by a picture on Pinterest (as we impressionable crafters so often are) to make my own button magnets when I realized just how ridiculous I felt going to the store and buying friggin' refrigerator magnets. I mean. Come on.

My mom bought a big strip/roll of magnet when she was last in the states, so that part was easy. I unfortunately didn't have any proper buttons in the stash, so those had to be purchased. I tried to be clever and get a bag of buttons that generally matched my kitchen color scheme, rather than buying individual cards of buttons (which gets ridiculously expensive, in my opinion). However, I'm not sure how great of a deal this was, since I only used about 1/8 of the buttons in said bag, but hey, II only ended up spending $5 on the whole project, so I'm not complaining.

The magnet was self stick, so all I had to do was cut, trim, and stick. Easy as pie. The whole project took maybe 20 minutes and I think they came out pretty cute. Maybe even as cute as a button. Or. Buttons. Or something.

Grade:

Function: A- (some of the smaller buttons don't like a double layer of paper...a problem easily solved with more buttons!)
Cost: A
Appearance: A
Difficulty: A+
Fun: A

Overall: A


I think my next project will be a new Kitchen Curtain. I've been staring at the fabric I bought for it all week and I am dying to sew the bitch up.









What projects are you itching to start this year?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...great and easy project! I cannot believe we did not get this accomplished when I was there! Zipper magnets next? LOL...just teasing.

Unknown said...

I think I dig this. Sounds like a great project for me and the wee one one weekend in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Definitely a kid friendly project...straightforward and no mess! Plus, CC is at an age you don't have to worry about her swallowing tiny plastic pieces. Bonus!