Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Lovely Trudy Campbell


For the first few seasons of Mad Men, I really pined for a brunette character with great style to stick around on the show long enough to emulate. Rachel and Midge came and went, and while Peggy is a complete badass, her fashion sense didn't kick in until around the third season, and she still makes some occasional missteps.


It wasn't until season four, when Peggy and super arrogant (but really good looking) freelancer Joey learn that Trudy Campbell is having a baby that I realized...the elusive brunette style icon I've been looking for was there all the time!

As Joey says, "I would get her so pregnant."
I'll be honest. Trudy Campbell was probably my least favorite female character on Mad Men through my first and second viewings. (And she was only eclipsed as least favorite character overall by her ridiculous child of a husband, Pete.) I found her social climbing ambition a little overwhelming and her constant whining about not being knocked up annoying as hell. BUT in all reality, she is awesome. Intelligent, glamorous, quick thinking, immaculate, level headed, loyal, and goddamn it, she wears the greatest hats. (And Allison Brie is really. Really. Beautiful.)

So even though we now have Megan, who is amazingly stylish, you know you can always look to Mad Men's original brunette style maven for inspiration. Even if she does have extremely questionable taste in lingerie.
And if you haven't seen it already, check out Texts From Trudy Campbell. (It's hilarious, I promise.)

No comments: