Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Things You Should Know Before You Get Blunt Bangs

Let me tell you something about blunt bangs.
Blunt bangs are the world's oldest bangs. They're straightforward and honest. The first woman who decided to spruce up her 'do, whoever she may have been, gave herself some blunt bangs. I promise.

This means several things:

1) They've stuck around for a reason. They are super versatile, and anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. You can wear them straightened, curly, bouncy, short, long, piecey, swept to the side, pinned back, teased up...plus, they add flavor and form to up-dos and ponytails, which is great if you, like me, just wanna tie your hair back sometimes in a messy bun but hate a big bare forehead. You could say that they are a little more high-maintenance than not having bangs, but in my experience, the ratio of looking awesome to effort is considerably better.

2) They are simple to cut. Of course, you can get a stylist to do it for you, or you could spend an hour watching some Youtube videos and get some instant gratification. (But only if you're sober.) The nicest thing is that once you cut them yourself, you can maintain them yourself.

3) I also have to say that people always told me that growing out blunt bangs is a really irritating process, but I've found just the opposite. I loved when they just grazed my eyebrows, but I've found that they make all kinds of fun and interesting shapes as they grow.

4) Also, if you're looking to replicate Joan Holloway bangs, this is the best way. Although her look has changed from season to season ever so slightly, through a thorough examination of her bangs, I've determined that they are long blunt bangs, just styled differently. I realize that not everyone's life revolves around Mad Men, but I know that I searched for the best way to achieve a Joan style bouffant on a regular basis, and this is the best way, no matter what length hair you have.

5) Side-swept bangs are trivial in comparison. In a competition of side-swept vs. blunt, side-swepts are  extremely limited, trickier to maintain, and frankly, look a little 2007.

Obviously, I'm not recommending blunt bangs to you personally, because I don't know what your hair texture is or how much time you're willing to spend getting used to styling them or how handy you are with scissors. I do know that blunt bangs were a really great decision for me, and I fully support the decision to try something new.

But if it ends disastrously, don't look at me.


No comments: